Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Starling Fledgling

This little bugger hatched and grew its first few weeks under the eaves by our front window. Initially, the predawn song for food was irritating. That feeling soon changed to one of familiarity and even fondness. Although I don't like starlings (feral pests), I liked these ones. And then one day this one fell out of the eaves. It found its way into the enclosure which is our front yard. I was surprised to find it there still alive the next day. I was even more surprised to see that there were actually two of them (the other hid in the bush very well and I didn't get a photo of it).

The bird's mother(?) found them shortly after this picture was taken. They are pretty birds. For a picture of an adult starling, click here. She immediately started the feeding routines. Amazing.

The night after this picture was taken, there was a cat trawling nearby.

The next day we couldn't see the fledglings anywhere.

The following morning, I found a baby starling dead in the pool. I don't know if it was this one or not. Very sad, to see the lust for life the little bugger had snuffed out by The World.

And all of that turned this from a photo of a starling into a photo of this starling.

No comments: